Welcome to Piscataquis County, Maine!
Our county is the size of the State of Connecticut, and is located in central Maine. We have a population of just over 17,000 people and with our miles and miles of forested land with a population of less than six inhabitants per square mile, we are still considered a "frontier county." Natural resources are an important part of our heritage, both for work and for play.
Welcome to this haven for outdoor enthusiasts. Fishing, hunting, camping, hiking or a quiet weekend at a summer cottage can all be enjoyed here. Read a book by the fire this winter, or bundle up and hit our miles of snowmobile and cross country ski trails. Pull big fish up through auger holes and take plenty of pictures for the folks back home!!
We are very proud of our region, and love to share Maine’s great outdoors where eagles still fly and deer graze the fields. After admiring the local flora and fauna, be sure to come into town for dinner, shopping and a show.
Piscataquis County Holidays for 2020
• Wednesday, January 1 - New Year’s Day
• Monday, January 20 - Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
• Monday, February 17 - Washington’s Birthday
• Monday, April 20 – Patriot Day
• Monday, May 25 - Memorial Day
• Friday, July 3 - Independence Day
• Monday, September 7 - Labor Day
• Monday, October 12 - Columbus Day
• Wednesday, November 11 - Veterans Day
• Thursday, November 26 - Thanksgiving Day
• Friday, November 27 – Day after Thanksgiving
• Friday, December 25 - Christmas Day